Sunday, July 20, 2008

Berry Beginnings

How do you like to start your days? For most of my life I grew up starting it with nothing... meaning skipping breakfast. Just the thought of eating made me nauseous besides who had the time? Out of bed until the very last second, still trying to shake my dreamy state, and with school starting in 10 minutes it was amazing I made it down the stairs much less eat a decent meal. And don't even ask about lunch (I skipped those too). College was kind of a wake up call to that mourning haze. I choose to take a nutrition class for one of my core electives and I will never forget the professor that taught it, Mrs. Getty. A short plump little woman with cute roller-curl blond hair whose quickness and energy swept across the whole 300 seater classroom bringing all the students to the edge of their seats, drinking in her words. She had the best analogies and always found articles or hot topics that would interests us, sparking conversations with not only her but each other. "Breakfast", she told us pearing over her glasses with laughing eyes and a hidden smile, "is the most important meal of the day as I'm sure you've heard but why? Who can tell me why?" A hush fell over the classroom, most of us too shy to attempt her question while 299 people looked at us. "Because", she patiently continued, "your body is like a car that needs fuel. If your car doesn't have any gas what's going to happen when you turn the key? It doesn't start and even if it does, it won't go for very long."

Simply told but such an important basic and you don't have to look hard for the many scientific studies done that show the correlation between lower weight and better health to breakfast eating. From then on I've tried to eat breakfast every mourning. One of my favorites? Plain yogurt with blueberries, cinnamon, and honey. I like plain for the mere fact that I know for sure that there isn't any kind of syrup or sugar hidden in it, some brands have as much as 7 tsp. of sugar in it! Oh and yogurt is so healthy! Full of live active cultures that fight against unfriendly bacteria but add to the friendly ones, good for the digestive tract, has anticancer properties, the ability to lower cholesterol, source of complete protein, has calcium, vitamin B2, vitamin B12, potassium, magnesium, and zinc. Plus powerful blueberries chalk full of antioxidants (fights against free radicals that damage cell membranes and DNA and ultimately causes many degernerative diseases) and cinnamon (interestingly fights type 2 diabetes, insulin resistance, and digestive aliments). Now isn't that the breakfast of champions!

No comments: