Sunday, June 15, 2008

Eat the Rainbow

Red, yellow, green, red, blue blue blue
Red, purple, green, yellow, orange, red red
Red, yellow, green, red, blue blue blue
Red, purple, green, yellow, orange, red red

Blend them up and what do you get?
Ceries, chartous, and aqua
Mauve, beige, and ultra marine, and every color in between
Hazo ka li ka no cha lum bum

Color has it's harmony and just like I have said
Red, yellow, green, red, blue blue blue
Red, purple, green, yellow, orange, red red


Who hear remembers that song? The one that Disney made back in, oh... the 1960's? As a kid I loved that song, listening to it over and over again and I even got to the point where I could sing every word, impressive if you've ever heard it. I loved how it seemed frenzied and crazed and the challenge to sing every word. But my favorite part of it was the explosion of colors my imagination created and just like the song suggests, the harmony of it all.

Being someone who studies nutrition and diet, it's not uncommon for me to be asked how I do it, what I make, what I buy. And I tell them (and you) what my professors tell me, eat the rainbow. Even metaphorically is sounds delicious. And in the culinary world it really isn't hard to do. I mean, if you want an explosion of colors just look to your nearest grocery store. Actually the grocery store isn't near to me at all but it's well worth the drive for produce like that. So what's on my color wheel this week? Red peppers, strawberries, carrots, peaches and nectarines, banana, ginger, honey, mustard, chicken, lettuce, green onions, bok choy, broccoli, cantaloupe, yogurt, sourdough bread, soup, soymilk, avocados, plums, and grapes. All the colors and flavors to keep my body happy and harmonious. Now the question is what to make? Blend them up and what to you get? Hmmm I'm thinking stir fry.

No comments: